The low social awareness regarding the exposure to fire risk combined with the reduced individual capacity to prevent and face emergencies increase both social vulnerability and the cost of civil protection actions.
eFIRECOM aims at enhancing the resilience of citizens to wildfires in interface areas from the Mediterranean region, through effectively promoting and increasing awareness and participation on the culture of risk with updated knowledge and best practices.
The two main results are:
1) Development of a communication toolkit for the capacity building of citizens and communities towards wildfire risk prevention, adapted to three target audiences: i) Communities and municipalities (inhabitants and managers of wildland urban interface), ii) Scholars, youths and their teachers, iii) Journalists and media professionals.
2) Edition and dissemination of operational and strategic recommendations for the improvement of the communication on risk and reduction of social vulnerability to wildfires in Mediterranean areas, transferred to the relevant authorities.
Forest Sciences Centre of Catalonia (CTFC)
Forest Policy and Environmental Governance
Crta. St. Llorenç de Morunys Km2
- Pau Costa Foundation (ES)
- European Forest Institute (FI)
- EEIG FORESPIR (FR)
- Direction Générale des Forêts de Tunisie (Tunisia)
- Université Hadj Lakhdar Batna – (Algeria)
- Start date
- 1. Jan 2014
- Beitrag der EU
- €373 743