As part of an evaluation to assess the implementation and performance of the EU Civil Protection Mechanism, EU citizens and all concerned stakeholders are invited to express their views by participating in an open public consultation.
The evaluation will provide a clear indication of whether the general and specific objectives of the EU Civil Protection Mechanism are being met and will aim to identify any shortcomings and lessons learnt.
Purpose of the evaluation
The main purpose is to assess the implementation and performance of Decision No 1313/2013/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 December 2013 which established the EU Civil Protection Mechanism ("Union Mechanism"). The activities being evaluated refer to the period of 1 January 2014 – 31 December 2016.
The objective of the open public consultation is to give EU citizens and all concerned stakeholders an opportunity to express their views on the performance of the EU Civil Protection Mechanism during the first three years of implementation.
You can find the overall Consultation Strategy for the Interim Evaluation here.
The results of the consultation will feed into the interim evaluation of the EU Civil Protection Mechanism.
Results of the consultation
The open public consultation was addressed to anyone who wanted to have a say. There were 2 different questionnaires:
- One designed for respondents with limited or no in-depth knowledge of the Union Mechanism, and
- another one designed for respondents with in-depth knowledge.
Finally, the following separate contributions were addressed to the European Commission:
- Contribution to the Public Consultation on Evaluation of the Union Civil Protection Mechanism
- The Securitisation of European Union Civil Protection
- Position Paper On The European Commission’s “Public Consultation On The Interim Evaluation Of The Union Civil Protection Mechanism”
- PLATFORMA’s comments on the non-paper for expert consultations
- Response to Public consultation on the interim evaluation of the Union Civil Protection Mechanism
An EU civil protection exercise in Bulgaria, 2013 © EU/ECHO